If you are looking to visit some of the best places to stay in Lugano Switzerland, you’ve come to the right post! From a historical, royal villa, hotels with heated outside pools to beautiful panoramic Lugano views with your own apartment, there are quite a few different choices of accommodations to choose from. The best places to stay in Lugano Switzerland ultimately all depends on your own preferences of course, but we hope these top 10 places inspire you!
Best Places To Stay In Lugano Switzerland
1. The View Lugano – Situated in Lugano Paradiso, this gorgeous place to stay is absolutely stunning for those travelling with their partner. It’s only a 5 minute walk from Lake Lugano and facing the mountain of Monte Bre. Facilities include a sauna, a hammam, an indoor swimming pool, and a fitness area – as well as in-house à la carte restaurant for when you don’t want to head into the city. They provide fresh, exceptional breakfast options for all dietary needs and additionally an electric car rental for when you want to explore Lugano.
Overall Booking.com rating: 9.1
Address: Via Guidino 29, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
2. Hotel Admiral Lugano – This stunning 4 star property is located in the Paradiso neighbourhood, just a short walk or train ride from Lugano city centre. Their indoor heated pool is perfect after a day of exploring Lugano, such as with this Lugano 1 day self guided tour. Alternatively, if you visit in the summer time, their outside pool is also available while enjoying the warm summer sunshine.
Overall Booking.com rating: 7.5
Address: Via Geretta 15, 6902 Lugano, Switzerland
3. Villa Sassa Hotel, Residence & Spa – With only a 15 minute walk from the city centre, the Villa Sassa Hotel is ideal for those who want to relax while visiting Lugano. Their outside pool has pretty panoramic views across Lake Lugano, Monte Bre and Monte San Salvatore. They also have a 3,000 m² Spa and Wellness Club for those who truly want a relaxing stay in Lugano. Well recommended for those who want also peace and quiet after a long day.
Overall Booking.com rating: 8.2
Address: Via Tesserete 10, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
4. Hotel Splendide Royal – Established in 1887, this royal-like 5 star hotel is in the perfect location of Lugano, situated in the city centre with front row seats to Lugano Lake! Their pool and sun lounge area is stunning, with additional saunas and steam baths to enjoy best. Make sure to check out the Michelin star restaurant while visiting. Alternatively since you are so close to the city, it’s perfect walking distance to enjoy a some food and drink at the Lugano Piazza della Riforma square.
Overall Booking.com rating: 8.7
Address: Riva Caccia 7, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
5. Kurhaus Cademario Hotel & DOT Spa – The highlight of staying at the Kurhaus Cademario is the elevation and gorgeous view of the canton. At 850 m above sea level, enjoy the indoor and outdoor pools before heading back to your room for relaxation, a spa bath and dinner at the gourmet restaurant. Its a 35-minute drive away from Lugano, suitable for those who have a car and want to be up higher in the local mountain.
Overall Booking.com rating: 8.5
Address: Via Kurhaus 12, 6936 Cademario, Switzerland
6. Sonniges Paradies – For those wanting to have an apartment all to themselves with self catering, this is the place to be. It’s also perfect for those who wish to take a furry 4 legged animal with them too. The apartment has everything you need for a short stay in Lugano, where you can end the day sitting on the large terrace watching the sunset during Summer.
Overall Booking.com rating: 9.9
Address: 12 Via al Roccolo, 6962 Lugano, Switzerland
7. Lake Soul Apartments – With free private parking and only 400 meters from the Lugano Exhibition Center, this sweet apartment is perfect for a couple to stay in Lugano. The apartment is fully equipped, also with a washing machine for those who wish to stay longer than a few days. Since it’s also close to the city centre, you are in easy walking distance from all the local restaurants and Lake Lugano promenade.
Overall Booking.com rating: 9.5
Address: 21 Via Giulio Vicari, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
8. Villa Girandola – Located a little further from the city centre, Villa Girandola is perfect for those wanting a private heated pool (seasonal). The villa has all the appliances you need for your stay, plus everything else you can think of! It’s luxurious but also perfect for those travelling also with children with everything available and toys for them to enjoy during their stay.
Overall Booking.com rating: 9.4
Address: Strada di Soragno 24, 6964 Lugano, Switzerland
9. Villa Principe Leopoldo – For those looking to stay in Lugano like a celebrity should check the Villa Principe Leopoldo, where they offer exquisite dining, panoramic views, free breakfast. Their historical villa, which was once a prince’s residence, provides top quality services. They have spacious and stylishly decorated guest rooms all with airco for the Summer months as well as exclusive selection of cocktails, wines, champagne and whiskies to be enjoyed after dinner hours.
Overall Booking.com rating: 8.8
Address: Via Montalbano 5A, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
10. Giardino Violetta – Beautifully located at the foothills of Monte Bre, this modern apartment with garden is ideal for those looking for peace and quiet during their stay in Lugano. The lake view is stunning for those who enjoy a late Summer evening outside in a lounge chair. Else the local beach and a few romantic restaurants are just a short 10 minutes away. To get to Lugano, its a short bus or car ride from the apartment, else walking is also possible!
Overall Booking.com rating: 9.0
Address: Via Violetta 14, 6976 Lugano, Switzerland
Lugano Travel Tips
While visiting Lugano, get inspired with our top local posts about the following;
Monte San Salvatore – Ride the funicular or hike up to the top of Monte San Salvatore for gorgeous 360° views of Lake Lugano and looking down to all the smaller villages surrounding the lake.
Lugano In Winter – Sharing what you can do during the winter period in Lugano, such as to join the Christmas festivities, visit a snow topped mountain nearby, shop in the local boutiques and more!
Monte Bre – With a short ride to the top by bus or funicular, Monte Bre is the perfect place for watching the sunset or enjoying a local wine at the restaurant.
The Village of Gandria – Arriving by boat is the best way to visit Gandria, a little village just around the corner of Lugano. The cobblestoned streets is a no driving zone, making it picturesque and peaceful for a stroll around. There are a few restaurants with lake view that’s well worth your time.
1 Day Self Guided Tour Around Lugano – After taking this route ourselves, we just had to share this perfect 1 day itinerary that you can do in Lugano during the Summer time. It involves exploring the city, followed by a trip up the mountain Monte San Salvatore before heading back down to a boat. With the boat its a short trip to Gandria before walking back to Lugano.
We hope you are inspired to stay at one of these best places to stay in Lugano Switzerland!