When being Romantic in Basel, there are many things to do as a couple and with loved ones. Whether you want to take a stroll along the river Rhine, get lost in some gardens or to explore the old town boutiques – there’s something for everyone.
10 ROMANTIC THINGS TO DO IN BASEL
1. view The Local Architecture
Basel has some nice buildings for exploring local Basel architecture, such as the recently built Roche-Turm buildings and the unique Workroom Warteck building also nearby. A popular spot for those who love architecture is also the Messe Basel, where you can stand underneath and see the beautiful circular structure above.
2. Eat Burgers For lunch
When in Basel and craving a good burger, head to HANS IM GLÜCK. What we loved about this place is that there are many options, also for those who have dietary needs too. They also allow you to choose a ‘bunless’ burger and combine the dish with additional delicious sides instead. They have outside seating, but the inside is best as you can then sit inside the jungle style decor and swings as seats.
3. Enjoy a drink next to the river
Find a spot sitting at one of the local cafes, bars or restaurant along the rivers edge at Promenade Unterer Rheinweg. From here you can relax in the sun (till late!) and watch all the locals and tourists enjoying Basel too. Another option is to bring your own drink or snacks along the edge of the river and enjoy a small picnic. Often you will see also ducks and swans floating past.
4. get lost in The Local Botanical Gardens
Open for most of the year, find yourselves stopping by at the University of Basel Botanical Garden. This pretty location are full of many plants and and greenhouses that you can explore at your own time. It is free to visit and you can spend as much time as you wish, even to sit in the gardens on the benches provided. It’s located in the city centre so easy to walk to between other activities.
5. Admire the Basel Town Hall
This historical building is a great example of national style in architecture. You cannot miss it during your stay in Basel, as it is located right in the city centre on the market square. When in use, the Cantonal Parliament as well as the Cantonal Government use this building for meetings. But when not in use, you can have guided tours here and enjoy the beautiful building, statues and paintings inside at certain times.
6. hold hands in A Basel Museum
Basel has many museums within the city for exploration, many related to art, culture, paintings but also beer! We personally did not have time to visit any museums, however here is a list of the top ones in Basel that you can visit based on your interests:
- Museum Tinguely – Permanent display of the works of Jean Tinguely, plus other temporary exhibitions
- Caricature & Cartoon Museum – Art gallery showing political cartoons & caricatures
- Basel Paper Mill Museum – Papermaking & printing museum in a medieval mill, including workshops
- Fine Arts Museum – Paintings & drawings by artists active in the region 1400–1600 & in the 19th & 21st centuries
- Toy Worlds Museum – A collection of doll, teddy bear & miniature toy exhibits displayed over 4 floors
- Museum of Cultures – Ethnographic museum, designed by Herzog & de Meuron, showing global artifacts
- Museum of Natural History – Natural history exhibits ranging from zoology to paleontology
7. get romantic in basel with a picnic at St. Johanns Park
The St. Johanns Park is the perfect picnic location on a late summers evening to hang out and enjoy being romantic in Basel. Bring your own treats, snacks, drinks and of course a cosy blanket to sit on. This park is ideal as its right next to the water, close to the old city centre and nice to hang out where the locals also enjoy. It’s the perfect spot for a summer’s evening with the sun setting late at this location.
8. Enjoy A Boat Trip
If you want to be more on the water, consider taking a boat trip from the Basel Schifflände ferry terminal in the city centre. From here, there are a few tours you can join for as little as 15CHF. These boats can take you up the river towards Germany and back. Most of them have an indoor and outdoor deck so also suitable for all weather types.
Else you can enjoy the local Boat Crossing from one side of the river to the other. If you have cash only, you can climb on board, with adults costing 1.60CHF and children only 0.80CHF. It’s a unique way to cross the river Rhine as you get pulled along via the cable/rope above. This is more romantic in Basel as you can often have the boat to yourselves for the trip!
9. walk the quieter streets together
Even while located in the city centre and old town, find yourself being romantic in Basel walking around the main shopping streets for the quieter streets. These cute cobblestoned streets are worth seeing no matter what weather it is. For example, walking around the more residential streets of Heuberg, Gemsberg and Unterer Heuberg are perfect for a quiet stroll. These streets line up with some other streets with local boutiques and a few hidden gems too.
10. Take A tram to Dreiländereck (Three Country Corner)
Okay to technically this one is not in Basel city centre, but it’s something well worth doing if you have the time. The Dreiländereck is the location of Switzerland, Germany and France reach each other together for the border. At the Dreiländereck location you can stand next to the monument, ultimately standing on the intersection of 3 countries at once. It’s nice to combine with some shopping at the Rheincenter shopping mall.
Tips For These Romantic In Basel Activities
- Be prepared for the weather when exploring – suncream vs raincoat!
- Make time to just sit and relax somewhere, rather than non-stop activities to truly enjoy Basel
- If enjoying a picnic, make sure to clean up after yourselves
Thank you for reading! Have another more Romantic In Basel suggestions? let us know in the comments!