Ah, the beauty of spring in Lugano, Switzerland! Every spring in this Swiss-Mediterranean location, nature springs to life with a magnificent display of colour and fragrance. From the rolling hills of the countryside to the crystal-clear waters of Lake Lugano, the natural landscape offers visitors a truly stunning experience.
Whether you’re looking to explore the local culture or simply enjoy some relaxation with a stunning alpine mountain backdrop, Lugano is the perfect destination for those who want to experience the best of Switzerland’s spring season.
In this blog post, I’ll be sharing our personal experience of spending a spring in this charming Swiss city. From the best places to explore to the delicious cuisine on offer, I’ll be giving you all the details you need to enjoy your perfect spring getaway.
What To Do During Spring In Lugano
Here are our recommended things to do in the season of Spring for Lugano
Hiking And A Lake Cruise
There are many hikes starting from Lugano, either that you can do around the city, towards the outer neighborhoods and of course up the local mountains surrounding Lugano.
Our personal favourites include hiking the Sentiero dell’olivo route from Lugano to Gandria. It is mostly a flat route, with the 2nd half completely car-free through the small route along the lake. It can be a busy route during the weekends when the sun is shining, but still just as enjoyable. For this route, we suggest you can also take the boat back to Lugano making it a round trip!
Wandering The Spring Gardens
Throughout Lugano there are multiple gardens and public parks to enjoy during Spring. These are true delight for those who love being in nature.
Here’s a list of Spring parks in Lugano, together with a few links of them in more detail from our own visits:
- Cherry Blossom Park – Located Behind the Police community building at Via Beltramina 20B
- Parco Ciani – In the heart of the Lugano city centre is Parco Ciani. Located right on the edge of Lake Lugano, the park is a short walk from the Piazza della Riforma.
- Parco Panoramico Paradiso – A nice, small and quiet park in Lugano Paradiso with a good view of the lake. It has a small area for work out structures, play park for children and some benches for relaxing.
- Villa Heleneum – reached on the wonderful walk between Gandria and Lugano, where you can find yourself exploring the gardens and historical stoned furnishings.
- Parco del Tassino – a very quiet and peaceful park area with a beautiful view of the lake, not far from Lugano train station.
- Parco Florida – a stunning little park with a play area for those with children
- Parco del Tassino is a perfectly located park just a short walk from the Lugano train station
Sitting On An Outdoor Terrace
With the warmer weather, many restaurants are very welcoming to already sit on their outdoor terraces for a drink or a bite to eat. In the city, the terraces will have been converted from their ‘winter mode’ status so that everything is opened up, with the umbrellas back for those who already want to sit in the shade.
For a drink in the city with some sunshine outside, we suggest the following locations that have outdoor seating:
- Tango Riforma SA – right on the piazza in city centre
- Agua Lugano – next to the main promenade/road with views of the lake
- Porto Bello! – close to the Lugano beach and yachting area
- Lanchetta Lounge Bar & Pinsa – slightly away from the city, but lake views just as enjoyable!
- AnaCapri – right next to train station, with the perfect Lugano city views from above
Riding A Funicular To A Peak!
From mid March for the Spring opening, most local funiculars in Ticino open up again for the new year. This is perfect for those wanting to already get outdoorsy and up to some higher elevation!
In Lugano, the funicular for Monte San Salvatore and Monte Bre both open usually …
Visit A Lugano Museum
As you may not know, Ticino is the sunniest canton of Switzerland out of all 26 cantons, but it does rain at times too. For those rainy days in Lugano, you can consider a museum visit to keep try and immerse yourself with some local culture, artwork and masterpieces.
Some of the museums in Lugano you can visit in Spring include:
- Swiss Miniatur Museum – Located just a short 7 minutes from Lugano to the village of Melide, this museum is mostly outdoors but wonderful to see Switzerland in miniature form!
- Museo Cantonale d’Arte – featuring a collection of modern and contemporary art.
- Museo delle Culture – dedicated to exploring the diversity of cultures around the world.
- Museo d’Arte della Svizzera Italiana – this museum showcases a collection of Swiss and international art from the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Museo Cantonale di Storia Naturale – dedicated to the natural history of Ticino and its surroundings.
- LAC museum – A contemporary-art & culture museum as well as a concert hall for events
For other seasons of Lugano, check our ultimate Ticino post for inspiration!
HAVE A WELLNESS SPA DAY
What better way to enjoy a relaxing day in Spring than by indulging with a spa day. Whether just for a swim, a 1 hour massage or some well relaxation in the sauna – a spa day is always a treat! Many spa’s do have a package deal with a massage included in the visit, so check online before you visit.
For Lugano, we can suggest that you book a day at ‘The View’ – a stunning location with spa facilities, massages and more. It is also a 5 start hotel if you wish to spend the night in luxury!
Visit The Easter Weekend Celebrations
Lugano is a wonderful place to spend Easter weekend at. There are festivities throughout the city as well as in Ticino overall. The city hosts an Easter Market, a children’s treasure hunt at Parco Ciani, live local folk and Alphorn music in many locations as well as street entertainment.
A delicious tradition during Easter weekend is to eat Colombe di Pasqua, which is the Easter doves. These are sweet yeast pastries that all local bakeries sell leading up to Easter. Some of the recipes are secret with their ingredients, but you can find a few also online to try baking it yourself if you wish!
Plan ahead if visiting during the Easter weekend, as hotels in Lugano can get rather booked up fast!
Frequently Asked Questions About Spring In Lugano
Where To Stay In Lugano during Spring?
There are hundreds of hotels and airbnbs to choose from in Lugano. We suggest to check some of our inspiration from this post to get an understanding on what is recommended by us as well as other travellers.
What is the weather like in Lugano in Spring?
The weather in Lugano for Spring time is usually pleasant, though it can rain a little. This is good for the plants, but for your visit, you can usually expect between 13°c and 21°c. Nice right!?
Where can I see cherry blossom trees in Lugano?
There is a main area where there are cherry blossom trees. These are located just behind the Police community building at Via Beltramina 20B. They blossom only for about 2 weeks during Spring, so you have to time this right to see them. The best way to keep track is to follow some of the local instagram hashtags to see when people start sharing photos. Give us a follow as we always visit when they are blooming!
Here are our other Spring seasonal posts: